20 Qualities of an Agile Leader
That leadership may, or may not, come from the organisation’s appointed leaders. But all teams need it, nevertheless.
So what are the qualities of inspirational leaders?
- Strong communication – storytelling and listening
- Passion for learning and intense curiosity
- Focus on developing people
- Having fun and very energised
- Strong self-belief, coupled with humanity and humility
- Committed to making a significant difference
- Clarity of vision and ability to share it with others
- Dogged determination and often relentlessness
- Strong focus on priorities
- Not afraid to show some vulnerability
- Regular use of reflective periods to think and learn
- Real passion and pride in what they do
- Confidence and trust in their teams, giving them real empowerment
- Respect for all (team members, temps, customers, suppliers and directors alike)
- Clear standards of ethics and integrity; openness and honesty
- Ability to drive, inspire and embrace change and continuous improvement
- Positive attitude at all times and an innate ability to be diplomatic in any circumstances
- Lateral thinking and ability to find innovative ideas and solutions to problems
- Ability to inspire and motivate others
- Willingness to take (calculated) risks
These are qualities that differentiate good leaders; people others would be willing to follow.
These are also qualities of ‘servant leadership’. An admirable leadership style that is particularly emphasised in agile software development methods.
How many of your team – or appointed leaders – demonstrate these qualities; the qualities of inspirational leadership?… and if you work for me, please don’t answer that :-)