This content is syndicated from Agile Development Blog: Scaling Software Agility by Jean Tabaka. To view the original post in full, click here.
Bernard, our top penguin here at Rally, has been doggedly engaged in our search for a Director of HR. Feedback from our recent blog post about the search
generated interesting discussion. To wit: why wasn’t Rally using this opportunity to come up with a new title for this Director position?
Epiphany moment for Bernard! Being a highly engaged Agile penguin, he became quite concerned about this very important role. Bernard realized that the traditional title just didn’t seem to fit with Rally as a truly Agile organization. Rally has been named best company to work for in Colorado
. And we place #6 by Outside Magazine as one of the top 50 places to work for in the US
. With the vision, culture, and values here at Rally, Bernard is now quite determined that we bring a new title to this role.
And so on Bernard’s behalf (lack of opposable thumbs limits some of Bernard’s “hands-on” work at Rally), I recently put the call out on twitter:
W00t! We received 27 responses, though I suspect some suggestions were more tongue-in-cheek than real suggestions. Nonetheless, it is clear: we have great creative people in the Agile community thinking about this role.
Here are the 27 title suggestions Bernard and I received in our search:
- Company Capacity & Fun Facilitator
- VP of Keeping It Real
- Talent Facilitator
- Chief People Advocate
- Chief Happiness Officer
- Head of Talent
- Team Consistency Enforcer
- “Sparkles” – (Okay, this person was confusing a dog-naming twitter stream with our stream)
- Director of Human Capital
- Director of Human Power
- Chief People Servant
- People Potentiator
- Hawaiian Shirt and Jeans Facilitator
- Director for Business Enablement through People
- Pit Crew Leader – (a Daniel Pink reference?)
- People & Fun Leader/Facilitator
- Head Cat-Herder – (Bernard is unamused)
- Kitten Cultivator and Litterbox Cleaner – (see above)
- Director of Helping People Be More Resourceful
- Staffing Facilitator
- Director of the People Team
- Employee Ombudsman
- [certified] People Master
- Head Employee Servant Leader
- People Servant Leader
- Employee Development
- Trusted Employee Advisor
Thanks to all, and nice work. Bernard and I keep going back to Daniel Pink’s “Drive.”
Because we value Pink’s guidance on autonomy, mastery, and purpose, we believe this role must embody Rally’s commitment to an Agile culture of learning and growth.
Now, what do YOU think the name of this role should be?
Jean Tabaka is a March Madness college hoops freak, a crash skier, author and Agile Fellow at Rally Software Development. You can follow Jean on Twitter at @jeantabaka
Bernard is a member of the Rally Office of the CTO and mascot for the Unreasonable Institute of Boulder CO.