Agile Estimation with the Bucket System
This post is from Agile Advice - Working With Agile Methods (Scrum, OpenAgile, Lean) by Mishkin Berteig. Click here to see the original post in full.
The “Bucket System” is a way to do estimation of large numbers of items with a small to medium sized group of people, and to do it quickly. The Bucket System has the following qualities which make it particularly suitable for use in Agile environments:
- It’s fast! A couple hundred items can be estimated in as little time as one hour.
- It’s collaborative. Everyone in a group participates roughly equally.
- It provides relative results not absolute estimates (points vs. hours).
- The results are not traceable to individuals and so it encourages group accountability.
- Works with teams to estimate effort or with stakeholders to estimate value.
The Bucket System of estimation works as follows:
- Set up the physical environment as per the diagram below. Ensure that all the items to be estimated are written on cards.
- Choose an item at random from the collection. Read...read more
Leave a Reply