Managing UAT – Test Early
Traditionally, the business/product owners are involved early in the requirement gathering process, but they don't see the software until it's been developed and gone through system testing. Personally I think this is bad practice for a number of reasons:-
- Software development sometimes feels like a game of Chinese Whispers.
- I've lost count on the times I've heard "that's not what I asked for".
- No matter how good a static design might look, it's not until you see the feature in action, do you realise it's not going to work.
- Spending cycle after cycle testing software to eradicate all defects, only for the business to request a bunch of changes.
- Encourage your development team to build prototypes.
- If prototyping is not possible, encourage your development team to demo work-in-progress to the business/product owners.
- Encourage the business/product owners to perform a pre-UAT cycle by giving them access to QA/Systest (even if defects still exist).